I have been falling back in love with nail polish lately. I don’t know if it’s because winter is hanging around and I am desperately craving brightness and sunshine, but a pop of color or bold pattern on my nails has really been uplifting my mood. Unfortunately, it’s not in my budget to have my nails done professionally. This doesn’t mean I need to have boring nails. I’ve been playing around with simple painting techniques and patterns that I can do in minutes and still provide that “wow” factor. The one thing I hate about painted nails is when they start to chip! For me, the secret to preventing this and getting that professional look has been to apply several coats of a good clear top coat. I also reapply it every few days to keep my nail polish looking shiny and chip-free all week long. (This is the one I am using right now: Defy & Inspire Over the Top.)
Here is a simple and colorful ombre “dipped” effect you can try out to add a little brightness and fun to your week. I can’t wait to try it out in different colors!
What You Will Need:
- 3 nail polishes in the same color family
- Clear base coat
- Clear top coat
- Start with a base coat of the lightest color.
- Don’t let it dry!
- Paint the next layer directly on the wet nail using the medium color shade
- Brush the color half way down the nail in three uneven strokes
- Let it dry.
- Brush the darkest color on the tip of the nail in 3 slightly uneven strokes. The paint should extend about half way down the medium color.
Voila! Ombre “dipped” nails in minutes!! Now add 2 coats of your favorite top coat and you are good to go!